Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hot Texas Weather and Sea Sick

Y'all won't believe how hot and muggy it is here today. I looked on the web and it was 45 degrees in Juneau yesterday. I can not wait to be where it is cool. I just have no energy when the air seems to be pushing you down. Your hair gets all funky, your pitts get all funky and your make up virtually slides right off your face. Hate it!

I was looking up Sea Sick cures on the web yesterday and the two things that are recommended the most are Dramamine (non drowsy) and Ginger. Does anyone else have any suggestions? My greatest fear is to waste my trip hurling and feeling rotten. I have heard that the patch doesn't help any better than the Dramamine and many feel that Ginger is by far the best of all. I do not like the taste of Ginger so I will be getting the ginger pills. I got Sea Sick one time while diving off the coast of Corpus Christi, Tx. and that was the worst sick I ever felt in my life. Even worse than morning sickness.

4 comments:

  1. When I was getting ready to do my first lecture tour on the Alaska Marine Hwy, I was afraid I would get seasick. I took Bonine, which is an antivert,an antihistamine, prescribed for the management of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness. I did not notice any side effects, although it can make you drowsy. Should not be taken with alcohol. I took my first dose several hours before departure. I also made sure I spent a lot of time on deck with a good view of the horizon until I got my sea legs. I took regular doses for about 3 days, then decreased. By the time I got off, I was fine. Since then I have just stayed on deck for several hours. If it gets rough, laying in one spot in your bed, sometimes is the best thing to do. Do not be in cramped, warm quarters. This is Alena!'s mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the advice!! I'll try anything to not waste my long awaited cruise. Bet you are proud of your daughter. She's a hoot. I love hearing about her life in Unalaska. It's such a world apart from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been on the ferry in SE AK Sindee, but it was very calm, compared to what you see on DC. I'd want to die if I was on the water like we have here (I only go out with my husband on good days!)
    We took the ferry in the middle of the night and my kids thought we hadn't even left the dock when we had arrived. Inside passage, right?
    But do what Alena's mom suggests....she's never been wrong that I know of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mel. When I watch DC I always think to myself how I would be puking the whole time. I almost get sea sick watching them...lol!

    ReplyDelete