Monday, June 22, 2009

DAY 4 ALASKA CRUISE

Up at 8:00am, dressed and went up to my favorite place "the Great Outdoors" and drank a cappuccino and ate the most delicious french toast. The smells and sights were fabulous. The air was crisp and cool and I was lovingly it. We were close to Juneau, our first Port of Call. After a leisurely breakfast we went to play Bingo. The three of us shared a set of cards and never even came close to Bingo. I am so not a gambler.

We docked in Juneau and I disembarked for my first shore excursion. I went on the Juneau Walking Photography Tour. We boarded our bus with our professional photographer guide. We drove to an old mining town and walked through woods and along a beach talking photos.
The flora was just beautiful!
We then boarded the bus for a short tour of the town and a drive out to the Juneau Visitor Center. After a lecture about encounters with bears and what to do we hiked to Mendenhall Glacier taking photos and learning all about the history of the glacier and the area.
Never saw a bear, but saw fresh bear paw tracks.
I really wanted to see a bear, but did not want to
come in contact with one.
We got some amazing shots of the glacier.
It was a wonderful tour and I got some great photos and some great photography tips. We hiked over some rugged terrain for 4 hours and I actually did great for an old sedentary gal, but my dawgs were barking when we got back to the ship...lol!! OMGosh Alaska is majestic!
Jackie and Betty's excursion was a ride in the Mt. Robert's Tram to the top of Mt. Roberts. They said there were some amazing views from up there and some great shopping up there too. They brought me back a lot of Alaska embellishments for my scrapbooking of our adventure to the "Last Frontier". We were back on the ship about 6:45pm. We ordered room service...free. Stills blows my mind that it is free. I feel asleep quickly while The Bell's (as I call Betty and Jackie, they are from Bellville) watched a movie on the TV in the room. Something about the sea air, rocking of the ship and the Bonine (sea sick med) that relaxes me so much that I can not stay awake at night. The time difference probably has something to do with it also. I may have to try Bonine at home. I haven't slept so well in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment