Wednesday, June 17, 2009

HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE and HERE IS DAY 2

It's hump day (Wed.) and I am so ready for Friday. During the summer months we work 4 tens so we get a 3 day week end each week. Love those 3 day week ends!!

Ok, where was I. Oh yes, day 2 of my Alaska adventure. Sunday morning we had to have our large pieces of luggage ready to be taken to the ship (from our hotel room in Seattle) by 8:30am. We had those ready and they were picked up. We had to be in the lobby by 10:00am to get on the bus to board the bus. We boarded the bus and were whisked off to the ship. We went through check in at the dock (fairly painlessly) and waited to board the ship. For those that don't know, the ship pulls into the dock from her last trip to Alaska and passengers disembark by 10:00am. The staff then madly cleans the ship and makes ready for the new group of excited travelers. If you hadn't read my prior blogs about my cruise here is a tid bit. My friend Betty, has had knee surgery and sometimes uses a walker. We affectionately named the walker "Maxine" because she has a mind of her own, doesn't always want to go in the direction you point her and is pushed around by three old broads. We had a love hate relationship with Maxine. We boarded the plane first because of Maxine. Porters stop to help us because of Maxine. The little cart drivers in the airport pick you up because of Maxine...well you get the picture. This is a pic of Betty sitting beside Maxine who is covered with all our stuff...we also used her as a pack mule when necessary. We boarded the ship "FIRST" (thanks Maxine) about 11:00am and were shown to the Garden Cafe Buffet where lunch was ready and we could eat and wait till our state rooms were ready at 2:00pm. It was relaxing and exciting and the time went quickly.


At 2:00 the announcement was made by Capt Lars that our rooms were ready. We made our way to our state room. It was quite a shock when we opened the door and the picture we had seen in the brochure WAS the actual size or our room. Not exactly, but it was kinda small for three women and A LOT of luggage. We all over packed. There were drawers and a closet that you can't see and it worked out fine. We shoved our empty suit cases under our beds...the only place they would fit. The bath even had a full shower. The beds actually were twin beds in our cabin and the couch made into the third bed.

After unpacking and settling in that evening we attended a talk/show in the Stardust Theater that acquainted us newbie cruisers with how things worked on the ship, etc.





We explored the ship with wide eyed wonder and amazement. I located the Internet Cafe, bought my first block of minutes, set up my password and sent the first blog to family and friends.
Then we went to our cabin, discussed the day and got some much needed sleep while to ship sailed toward the Inside Passage. I slept like a baby rocked by the gentle motion of the boat.
Oh, and I have to give a BIG thank you to Alena's Mom for the advice on sea sick meds. I took the Bonine and the ginger root pills and never had even a twinge of sea sickness. My friends, who did not listen to me and got the patch, were sea sick for a lot of the cruise. Not to where they couldn't function, but just miserable. That was my greatest fear. Thank goodness for Bonine. The only thing I noticed, I wasn't drowsy, but when ever I got horizontal I was out like a light and slept soundly. I needed that rest though. I was so refreshed after the cruise.

Hope I am not too long winded. Day 3 tomorrow, Sindee


2 comments:

  1. Well those pics sucked... um, we want the good stuff!! I'm taking the pics you post and adding them to facebook so move along with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you build me a facebook page??

    ReplyDelete